Monday, April 28, 2008

Conquering of a Fear

Today my dad asked me to drive down to Orem and pick him up because he had to drop off a machine. I was fine with that, I had nothing to do. I got ready and grabbed my keys and he asked that I drive his truck in order to keep the miles down on my car. I just about turned inside out. I am literally terrified of backing that thing out of the driveway, let alone driving it out of the neighborhood and onto the freeway. I used to wake someone up in the morning if it was in my way. If a car is any larger than a postage stamp I have a real hard time controlling it. But he insisted. I was convinced I would either kill myself or someone on the road. The only close call was backing out of the driveway when I narrowly missed backing over two women with strollers. I went no higher than 55 mph the entire way, I am sure people loved me. On the way down I imagined myself barreling down the road going about 85 mph in this huge red truck, but couldn't bring myself to leave the slow lane, let alone go above the speed limit. Probably 3/4 of the time I was driving in two lanes because I had no perception of how much space it was taking up. By the time I pulled up to the place I was sweating out of every pore in my body. However I made it. And I can now confidently back that thing out of the driveway without too much fear. But I will do everything in my power to avoid driving it again, it goes against a major belief of mine: Driving trucks is stupid.

9 comments:

derek w. said...

You could have completed the d-bag ensemble by wearing a blue tooth earpiece and by having two 4-wheelers in the bed of the truck. That's what I woulda done.

Jordan said...

I don't have any perception of how much space a big car takes up either. Whenever I drive my dad's car, I feel like I'm crowding everyone else off the freeway.

Glad you're safe and sound.

Bridger W. said...

There's nothing more satisfying than revving the engine of a Chevy truck, squealing out of a neighborhood, and smashing through a pack of harmless deer. Try it some time.

Cassidy said...

I love the idea of you flying down the freeway in an enormous red truck. I am so sad I wasn't able to see it happen.

Melissa said...

I had to drive a largish truck when I worked for the SJ Public Works Dept. I can name you at least three separate incidents where my inability to determine the perimeters of my vehicle made me look like a complete fool.

Craig Barlow B. said...

I got to drive a truck for two separate several-month periods in the Midwest, and I will admit I really enjoyed it. They wasn't huge, just Chevy Colorados, and one was rear-wheel drive, which was great to slide around town in the snow.

Jarrard said...

whenever i had to drive my father's big ol dodge, i felt like such a cad. i also hated touching the steering wheel since it always seemed to be covered in a sticky substance, and the interior smelled like there were rotten french fries under the seat.

Craig Barlow B. said...

I just noticed I said, "They wasn't huge..." And I wanted to be sure that everyone understands this was an accident. Thank you.

Sarah-Ashley said...

I liked the "they wasn't huge..."